Gary Vaynerchuck has a great thought where he says, if you look at the home screen of someones phone you will only find 3 type of apps on it:
- Escapism and Entertainment
- Information and Utility
- Social (people)
No one will have anything on their home screen that doesn’t fall into those 3 categories.
Truth be told, he is absolutely right, and my title is “sorta” click bait…. sorry! But there is one thing relatively misleading about what he says…
There Is No Other Type Of App To Find!
What other category could an app fall into on your phone?
The entire ecosystem of apps falls into those 3 categories. I challenge someone to think of another one. I don’t think you can.
But there is something else that you can glean from your phone home screen.
Personas and Rich Data from Our Phone Home Screen
I strongly believe the bigger question becomes, which of those categories do you fall into?
Imagine the rich information you can gather, what you can learn about someone, or the potential targeting possible if this was known? Just by looking at a persons phone screen you can learn so much. Is this person into games and primarily uses their phone to escape the craziness of their day?
How social are they and what networks do they belong to? That can be very telling.
And there is only so much space on the home screen.
Here is another interesting thing to note; is this an organized person who creates folders and keeps apps nicely organized?
For anyone who could figure out how to translate this rich information into actual data (I have some thoughts on it), I literally believe this is a billion dollar idea. Can you please just give me a h/t or honorable mention? 🙂
What do you think my home screen says about me?
A few little known facts:
- I have had that background image for 5 years. It’s of my son (1-year-old at the time) hanging from a basketball hoop… I’m directly underneath him cropped out so don’t call child services.
- I am usually not so organized but somehow I managed to be on my phone. This is a massive achievement for me!
- Google translate is crucial for an immigrant (bottom row 2nd from the right)
- I recently took the chrome app off my home screen because the search bar is at the top and I am trying to change my habit.
- Call me old fashion, but I like a big fat clock at the top with the date under. I know I lose space, but that’s how I roll!
Let me know what you think my screen says about me.